The winter holidays are quickly approaching and many of you may already be busy decorating and preparing to celebrate with family and friends. But before you light the Menorah, Kinara, or Advent wreath, remember that more than a third of home decoration fires are started by candles and 42% of decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source. Please, follow these tips to keep your house and family safe during the holidays.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations, furniture, draperies, trees, and other things that can catch fire.
- Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high or in a locked cabinet.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both. Check the UL listing on the box for proper usage.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords, loose bulb connections, or that unintentionally flicker as you handle them.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Test your smoke alarms.
- Blow out lit candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
Be sure to review last year’s post on Holiday Safety Tips for more reminders of how to keep safe during winter holiday celebrations.
Wishing you safe and happy holidays and a peaceful new year!